Anticipating a 4% Increase in DA: Impact on Central Employees' Salary According to the 7th Pay Commission


As the New Year approaches, there is speculation that the central government might gift its employees with an increase in Dearness Allowance (DA). The government typically revises DA twice a year, in January and July, based on the All India Consumer Price Index (AICPI) data. If the government decides to increase DA by 4%, the dearness allowance for central employees will reach 50%.

Potential Increase in Salaries and Pensions:

  • At present, employees and pensioners under the 7th Pay Commission receive 46% DA and Dearness Relief (DR).
  • If the government approves a 4% increase, the total DA and DR will rise from 46% to 50%.
  • This anticipated increase would lead to a salary boost for employees and enhanced pensions for retirees.

Estimated Impact on Salaries:

  • Following a 4% increase, the minimum salary for central government employees is expected to rise by Rs 9000.
  • The government may implement this increase from January or delay it until February or March.

DA Reaching 50% and Its Implications:

  • According to the rules, when DA reaches 50%, it is reduced to zero.
  • However, the amount equivalent to the DA received on the basis of 50% is added to the basic salary.
  • This adjustment results in an increase in the basic salary of employees, effectively compensating for the reduction in DA.
  • For example, if someone's basic salary is Rs 18,000, Rs 9,000 (50% of the basic salary) would be added to it.

Recent DA Increases:

  • The central government recently increased DA under the Sixth Pay Commission and Fifth Pay Commission, effective from July 1, 2023.
  • Many states have also raised the dearness allowance for their employees and pensioners.

It's essential for employees to stay informed about potential developments in DA as it directly impacts their overall compensation and financial well-being."

From around the web